HealthHIV’s “Transforming from HIV Prevention Practice to Prevention Innovation” (TRANSFORM) program provides training and technical assistance (TA) to the Targeted Highly-Effective Interventions to Reverse the HIV Epidemic (THRIVE) health departments (PS15-1509) and their community partners. The TRANSFORM program is led by HealthHIV.
The THRIVE Program
- THRIVE supports state and local health department demonstration projects to develop community collaboratives that provide comprehensive HIV prevention and care services for MSM of color. Each health department leads a collaborative that includes funded community-based organizations (CBOs) and other unfunded partners such as health care providers and behavioral health and social services providers in their jurisdictions (Figure 1). The collaborative models developed in THRIVE will be designed and implemented to be sustainable beyond the end of the project period.
- The goal of TRANSFORM is to transform, strengthen, and expand the workforce capacity of the THRIVE-funded health departments and their community partners to comprehensively provide care to MSM of color at risk for or living with HIV.
- TRANSFORM provides a multifaceted training and TA program designed to strengthen, expand and transform the workforce capacity of the THRIVE health departments, and their community partners.
TRANSFORM Intended Outcomes
- Increase THRIVE health departments’ access to culturally and linguistically appropriate, competency-based training that includes behavioral health, prevention, and social services modules.
- Enhance THRIVE health departments’ provisions of comprehensive prevention, care, behavioral health, and social services for MSM of color at risk for or living with HIV.
- Build the capacity of THRIVE health departments through focused TA to plan, implement, and sustain comprehensive prevention, care, behavioral health, and social services for MSM of color at risk for or living with HIV.
- Boost the capacity of THRIVE health departments to evaluate and monitor process, implementation, and outcomes of THRIVE programs.
TRANSFORM will achieve its goals through the following strategies:
- Launching an e-toolkit to include webinars, e-learning, and peer-led communities of practice.
- Conducting in-person, skills-building trainings.
- Providing intensive in-person and virtual TA to the THRIVE health departments and their community partners.
TRANSFORMation will require public health and provider services to work collaboratively, addressing HIV by developing a new system of public health practice, tailored to MSM of color, to improve health outcomes.
By training and building workforce capacity, public health systems can be transformed to become comprehensive, culturally competent, and interconnected. Additionally, newly trained staff will be able to work collaboratively with a multi-sector provider system to more fully address the needs of MSM of color, mitigate the impact of HIV, and improve outcomes along the HIV care continuum.
HealthHIV is a national non-profit working with organizations, communities, and health care providers to advance effective prevention, care, and support for people living with, or at risk for, HIV and HCV through education and training, technical assistance and capacity building, advocacy, and health services research and evaluation. HealthHIV leads the Pozitively Healthy national HIV consumer coalition, the HealthHCV initiative, and the National Center for Health Care Capacity Building, as well as the National Coalition for LGBT Health.